Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Death to Critters!!

I has a friend in my gardening group share a recipe she found for home made critter spray. From the ingredients in it, my guess is it should work without to much trouble. I put it together today and am going to start testing it in the garden, but wanted to share it here in case anyone else would like to try it. I am always on the hunt for any type of good organic bug repellents.Please note, I have not tried it yet so I am not sure about it's effectiveness or what it will do. I will keep you posted.
Chop up 1 cup of onions. I used one medium onion and it was just about right. I placed everything in an old large cool whip container. I expect I will keep this just for the mix. I am pretty sure you would not want to put anything else in here once it's mixed up =)
The recipe calls for 5 cloves of garlic, but mine were really big so I used 4. It didn't say if you should peel it or not or chop it so I just smashed it with a meat mallet so the garlic would marinade nicely. =)
Then add 5 tbsp of a hot pepper powder. I wasn't sure what to use since I do not cook really hot items but I found this at Walmart. From the scent of it, my guess is it will work. 
Add 2 cups of water,
cover it up and let it sit for 24 hours. Then strain all the garlic, onions and pepper (what will come out) and put in a spray bottle.Mine will be ready in the morning. I have not lifted the lid because I am afraid of how it will smell. Tomorrow will be soon enough.
I expect this liquid is hot so I would keep it away from children, pets and probably most people. Also wash everything really well after you are done using them. I will keep this tub just for garden things.
I will start testing it this week and see how it goes and keep you posted. If anyone tries this let me know how it works for you!
Happy Gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment